2019 is the year of the sixth replenishment of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. This year civil society organisations and people affected by the diseases all over the world will call on their governments and the private sector to ask for increased pledges from the previous replenishment in 2016, in order to ensure that progress in the fight against the three diseases is maintained and scaled-up.

The Global Fund is an international financing organisation that pools resources from governments, private sector, private foundations and innovative financing initiatives to create specific programmes to fight the three diseases around the world. The overarching goal for the Global Fund is to end all three diseases by 2030 in alignment with the Sustainable Development Goals.

The TBEC region is home to both donors and recipients of the Global Fund support for HIV and TB. Some countries have moved from being recipients to becoming donors, some are transitioning from the Global Fund support to national funding (you can read about country examples, here, here and here), and some remain the recipients for the foreseeable future. The majority of the funding – around 95% – comes the public sector and the remaining 5% is raised amongst private sector and foundations.

The Global Fund raises its funding in three-year cycles known as replenishments. This year, the aim is to raise funding for the period 2020-2022. The Replenishment Conference is usually hosted by the one of largest contributor countries. This year, it will be France and the conference will take place in Lyon in October 2019.

Whilst the majority of TBEC members will be approaching their national governments to make the case for strong investments, some are also looking to regional institutions too, with the European Union being the most notable. In 2002, the EU played a crucial role in establishing the Global Fund and is currently its sixth largest donor. In order to encourage continued support from the EU during a politically difficult period, various civil society organisations have already published a call to the EU institutions to increase the pledge. You can read about it here.

As evident from above, the majority of advocacy work will take place before the actual meeting. Early this January, the Global Fund published the Executive Summary its Investment Case. The fifteen page summary announced the fundraising target for the years 2020-2022 – US$14 billion, aiming to save 16 million lives, cut the mortality rate from HIV, TB and malaria in half, and build stronger health systems by 2023. The Investment Case will be used as the key reference document by over 60 governments to announce their pledges for the upcoming funding period. The full Global Fund Sixth Replenishment Investment Case will be presented and discussed by global health leaders at the Preparatory Meeting of the Global Fund Sixth Replenishment, hosted by the government of India in New Delhi on 8 February 2019.

If you are interested in receiving more information about the Global Fund replenishment process in the future, please write to coordinator@tbcoalition.eu.


flag_yellow_low

This blog is the product of an activity that has received funding under an operating grant from the European Union’s Health Programme (2014-2020).  

The content of this blog represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility. It cannot be considered to reflect the views of the European Commission and/or the Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency or any other body of the European Union. The European Commission and the Agency do not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.